It is important that parents teach delayed gratification and provide opportunities for ”boredom”, as boredom is the time when creativity awakens. They should not:
- feel responsible for being their child’s entertainment crew.
- use technology as a cure for boredom.
- use technology during meals, in cars, restaurants, malls, etc. Instead, they should use these moments as opportunities to train children’s brains to function under “boredom”. Help children create a “boredom first aid kit” with activity ideas for “I am bored” times.
It is important for parents to:
- be emotionally available to connect with children and teach them self regulation and social skills.
- turn off their phones until children are in bed to avoid digital distraction.
- become their child’s emotional coach. Teach them to recognise and deal with frustration and anger.
- teach greeting, turn talking, sharing, empathy, table manners, and conversation skills.
- connect emotionally – smile, hug, kiss, tickle, read, dance, jump, crawl with your child.
Head of Junior School
Dates to Remember
16 October 8:30 – 4:00pm Staff PD Day
17 October 8:30am Term 4 commences
19 October 9:30am Year 3 Camp leaves for Mylor Baptist Camp
12:15 – 1:00pm Chapel Service for Years 3 to 6
20 October 3:00pm Year 3 Camp returns
4:00pm Friday Summer Sport commences
5:30pm Year 2 Sleepover commences
21 October 8:15am Saturday Summer Sport commences
8:30am Year 2 Sleepover concludes
23 October 7:30pm Junior School Friends of Saints meeting
24 October 8:45am – 12:30pm Year 4 visit to Walford
25 October 2:30 – 3:00pm Reception to Year 6 Assembly
26 October 12:15 – 1:00pm Chapel Service for Years 1 to 3
1 November 2:30 – 3:10pm House Debating Competition
6:30 – 7:30pm Year 3 Strings Concert
- Thank you to all the parents who attended the important Parent/Teacher Interviews last week. The Teachers appreciated the opportunity to provide feedback on each boy’s progress and to hear from parents about how they see their son’s ongoing academic, social and emotional development at Saints.
- My sincere appreciation to the families in the Junior School for such a positive and rewarding Term 3 for 2017. Thank you to all parents for your active involvement in the life of the school and for contributing to such a warm community feel at Saints. We have had parents involved in classroom activities, attending weekly assemblies, coaching and watching weekly sporting fixtures, planning and organizing school wide events, and supporting teachers with creating a dynamic teaching and learning environment for the boys.
- Thank you to all the parents who visited our superb Art Exhibition this year. This year’s Exhibition saw all the boys from Reception to Year 6 produce a work based around the theme of ‘Australian Art’. The Exhibition was prepared by our Junior School Art Teachers, Sally Houston and Stephanie Cabot.
- Mrs Marcia McLachlan will be taking long service leave in Term 4. Mrs Felicity Anderson will be teaching French to the boys in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
- Mrs Rebecca Golding will continue in her role as a Teacher Librarian in Term 4, with Alison Winter continuing in her part-time teaching role next term.
- Mrs Anne Stokes has indicated her intention to resign her full-time teaching role in the Junior School at the end of this year, after 26 years dedicated service to Saints. We will farewell Anne appropriately next term.
A reminder that the boys return to school on Tuesday 17 October in their summer uniform.
Short sleeve banded shirt with school crest (Reception to Year 6)
Summer grey shorts (Reception to Year 6)
Brown sandals or long summer socks and black shoes (Reception to Year 6)
(boys in Reception and Year 1 may wear velcro black shoes)
Saints hat for play, PE lessons and school sport (Reception to Year 6)
St Peter’s College is situated in close proximity to the CBD of Adelaide, and adjacent to the Botanic Gardens. The School campus sits between two high-traffic roads in North Terrace and Hackney Road. The safety of our boys is of paramount importance, and caution must always be taken when walking, riding or driving in this vicinity.
When boys are crossing North Terrace on their way to and from School, they must always cross at the pedestrian traffic lights situated near Trinity Street. Boys should not cross the road at any other place, even when traffic is stopped for the lights.
Boys who need to cross Hackney Road must use the traffic lights on the corner of North Terrace, or walk under the bridge (over the River Torrens) to the north of the School. Alternatively, boys should use the pedestrian island opposite the entrance to Plane Tree Drive.
In the Junior School, parents should use either the North Terrace or Hackney Road car parks. Parents are asked to respect any designated spaces signed for staff parking.
The Junior School Avenue is open for parking until 9:30am. It is then closed for traffic throughout the day and reopens at 2:30pm.
Parents may drop boys off inside the School grounds in the Hackney Road carpark, North Terrace carpark or in the Avenue. However, there is no parking in the Avenue.
Photographs on Social Media
Out of respect to other families within our School Community, St Peter’s College asks that photographs taken at any School event or function that contain images of other students not be published, distributed to others or placed on any form of social media, without the consent of the relevant student’s family.
Outside School Hours Care
The Before School Care program at St Peter’s College will operate from 7:00 am to 8:15am each school day. The After School Care program runs from 3.00pm to 6.00pm school days.
Unlike many childcare programs, the Camp Australia program at St Peters’ College OSHC is eligible for the Child Care Benefit and the Child Care Rebate, which can reduce the cost of the program by up to 50% or more. The Child Care rebate is not income tested. It pays up to 50% of your out of pocket expenses … up to $7,500 per child a year.
Service Hours and Fee Structure:
Before School Care
7:00am to 8:15am
$12.52 Permanent Booking
$17.52 Casual Booking
After School Care
3:00pm to 6:00pm
$26.74 Permanent Booking
$28.74 Casual Booking
Early Finish (per hour)
$10.00 per hour
Annual Enrolment Fee
$20.00 per family/per year
After applying the Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate, the Out of Pocket expenses will be:
Before School Care $3.72 to $6.26
After School Care $8.28 to $13.37
To reduce your fortnightly out-of-pocket costs choose to have your rebate paid direct to Camp Australia.
To find out more about how you can save contact Camp Australia’s friendly Customer Service Team on
1300 105 343 or the Family Assistance Office 13 61 50.
- I would like to remind parents of the regulations regarding use of the Junior School carpark. People using the carpark need to stick to the 10km/h speed limit and follow the arrows to assist us with the safety of our boys and their families.
- Could parents who are collecting boys in the area near the School Uniform Shop please ensure they do not park around the round-about at the end of the road and also do not park in front of cars that are parked in marked car parks, making it impossible for these cars to leave the car park.
- Could parents please respect and take note of the fact that there are disabled carparks in the Junior School. We currently have parents parking in these bays who do not have the appropriate permits.
- Parents have indicated that there are parents who are driving whilst on mobile phones in our school carparks, and potentially endangering the safety of our Junior School boys. Obviously we would ask that parents do not engage in this illegal practice.
Each morning teachers supervise the playground from 8:15 – 8:30am, before the boys go to class for the start of the school day. Boys who arrive at school before this time should go to Outside School Hours Care (OSHC). After school there is supervision of the exit points to 3.40pm. After this time, any boy not at a co-curricular activity or still waiting to be collected by a parent will be taken to OSHC by the teacher on duty.
Parents are responsible for the supervision of their son on any playground equipment after school, as teachers are rostered on duty at various exit points in the Junior School. We do ask that boys do not play on the equipment outside the Years 3 and 4 classrooms until after 3:15pm.
For the information of parents we have 4 lost property bins in the Junior School.
- One near the photocopy room outside 1B.
- Two in the Bickersteth Building opposite the 3H classroom (for all clothes).
- One outside the Art Room (for all lunch boxes and bags).
We would encourage boys to check these bins for any lost property, as all left-over items are donated to charity at the end of each term.
Term Dates for 2017
Term 4 17 October – 8 December
Term Dates for 2018
Term 1 30 January – 13 April
Term 2 1 May – 29 June
Term 3 24 July – 28 September
Term 4 16 October – 7 December